- First up was Stuart “Grasshopper” Bevan who quickly sprang into action, taking a well deserved and commanding lead against an up and coming junior. Game 3 however, saw a spirited display by the youngster who put in a top performance signalling a David and Goliath encounter was on he cards. Game 4 proved critical and despite digging in and pulling off some spectacular shots it was clear this was going to the wire. Calming and encouraging words from Phil “Nookie Bear” Pook were provided in the interval but “David” the youngster reigned supreme in the end. Stuart losing 2 games to 3. - Sleep well Grasshopper
- Meanwhile, Daf “Stato” Watkins was on the adjacent court cutting through his opponent with consummate ease, with a fine display of trickle boasts and holding shots – a total mismatch, but helped cement a valuable win for the team. Daf wins 3 games to 0.
- Up next, and returning to the B team was Neale “Sicknote” Jones, who after a shaky start found himself down 2 games against the tricky Mario “Nintendo” Perna, Neale managed to dig deep and pulled the match back to 2 games each heading into the 5th with the club’s “balcony buddies” cheering from the rafters - our hopes were high! The Nintendo man had other ideas though and just like his gaming character laid enough banana skins on the court to trip up his capable and experienced opponent. Neale lost 2 games to 3.
- Paul “ Sparky” Grosvenor on the adjacent court in another mismatch dispatched his opponent with some aplomb, combining some great lobs and cross court drops. Despite a valiant effort from his opponent in the third, Sparky proved more than up to the challenge and sent him packing. Paul wins 3 games to 0.
- So with the match finely balanced at 2 rubbers each, up stepped Chris “ The Hobbit” Hampton for the final match. Despite lacking his usual “Va Va Voom” Chris was 2 games up in a blink of an eye, but his opponent “ The Cannonball” (team mates nickname) rolled back the years and exploded into action, fighting back hard to win the third. The fourth game was pivotal however, and the Hobbit pounced into action having either found “Smeagols Ring/or the Eye of Sauron”, he confidently dispatched “the cannonball” into no mans land. Chris wins 3 games to 1
- Mam of the match goes to Mike “ The Grinders” mother for a fantastic curry, rice, chutney and poppadom’s, winning the award for best innovation whilst cutting onions!! Priceless ( No pictures allowed)
Match report - Lois Lane (aka AP - B team captain)